Sunday, August 09, 2009

reflections - norseman xtreme triathlon 2009

I am back in Oslo after organizing another Norseman Xtreme for the 7th year in a row. It is always with a sense of sadness, wistfulness, joy and satisfaction that it is all over.
The weekend is exhausting. We spend all year preparing for the next event. Ordering products, getting photographers, updating the website, and making improvements from the previous years.
The feedbacks we receive make it all worthwhile. It has become such a personal event for me. Already when I arrive in Eidfjord I meet and greet triathletes from all over the world. Some are here for their first time, and I can see the excitement and fear in their eyes. Others are here for their repeat and new goals. It is a reunion of sorts. We have become like a family. And we meet here once a year to rekindle the experiences from the year(s) before.
I talked to Victor from Colorado who was here in 2006. He came up to me and told me how much he was looking forward to doing it again. I would see him several times during the competition and he would always tell me how he was doing.
There are so many stories like these.

Even the places have become a part of me. The Gausta-mountain, with her grandeur and mystique, has so many stories that I feel that I know her. She can be brutal, with her sudden weather changes. I have taken so many pictures of her.


The next few days will be spent going through all the photos and videos that was collected through the event.
After reflections and summaries from 2009 are collected we start planning and preparing for the 2010 Norseman Xtreme Triathlon.
And new memories will be created.

No comments:

Post a Comment