Monday, February 01, 2010

my visit to Bergen

After the Depeche Mode concert on Friday, I had all day Saturday to just be a "tourist" in my own country. I´m so glad I decided to spend a whole day there. Bergen is such a beautiful city.
I had planned on starting the day early, and get my hotel breakfast. But I did not wake up until 10:20, and breakfast ended at 10:30!
New plan.
Eat a banana and go for a run :-)
It sounds like a cliché but everything is at a top of a hill! No matter where I went, there was a steep hill to climb. It made for a really good run though, and my 30 minutes turned into a good 45 minutes. A really good way to see alot of Bergen in a short time.
After my run, I went to get some lunch.
I had originally planned for just a sandwich, but when I saw they had seafood soup, I could not resist. It was packed with chunks of fish, shrimp and mussels! It was heaven!

After my lunch I walked around just taking photos and enjoying the sites.
It´s been 10 years since my last visit, and I had almost forgotten how beautiful it was.

It was cold! Only about -5 Celsius, but an intense cold wind. You can see it in some of the photos, how it is snowing sideways.
The very first buildings in Bergen were alongside the harbour called Bryggen. The old Hanseatic wharf is architecturally unique and is included on UNESCO's list of world heritage of history and culture.

And there was of course the fish market!
Where else can you see rows upon rows of fish heads lined up?

Even the view from my hotel room was great, and it changed almost by the hour. It started snowing really hard Saturday evening, and by Sunday morning the view was incredible with the dark blue sky in the background.

The final panorama shot was taken Sunday morning, while I was waiting for the bus.



I hope I get to visit Bergen again soon.

I have a whole album uploaded which you can see here.
http://www.hustephoto.com/ph_bergen_2010/index.html

I hope you enjoy them :-)

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures you got there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, if those Vikings would have been a little bit more pleasant to the Native Americans, Maine would look more like Bergen and we would all be speaking Icelandic. Great photos Guy. Looks actually a lot like Seattle...at the least the fish seem like they are related ;-)

    ReplyDelete